Megaliths on the moors of Cojoux in Saint Just, Brittany
©Megaliths on the moors of Cojoux, Saint Just|Clo & Clem
Culture and heritageMEGALITHIC SITES

Megalithic sites in Ille‑et‑Vilaine

Ille-et-Vilaine contains many megalithic monuments. These standing stones are distributed relatively uniformly over the entire area, unlike the alignments which are generally in the south of Ille-et-Vilaine.

Here is a selection of a few of the main megalithic monuments in Ille-et-Vilaine.


Erected in the neolithic period, Fairy Rock owes its preservation to the interest shown in it by the Romantics in the 19th century.

At the winter solstice, this impressive dolmen (19.5 m long, 6 m wide and 4 m tall) reveals its magic, when the first ray of sunshine rises in the alignment of the megalith.


Situated above the Valley of No Return, Vivien’s house (or “druids’ tomb”) culminates at a height of nearly 200 metres, which provides a very pretty view of the heathland forest.

Excavations took place here in 1982 and made it possible to date the site to around 2500 BCE.

The legend of Vivien’s house relates that this “chest”-shaped megalith was used by the fairy Vivien to hide in before her meetings with Lancelot…


Considered the second megalithic site in Brittany, the moors of Cojoux and Tréal bear witness to a civilisation dating back to nearly 4500 BCE and present on the site for over 3,000 years.

Little tip: Don’t hesitate to take the Landes de Cojoux discovery path to explore the exceptional variety of megaliths (alignment of standing stones, cromlechs, etc.) and admire the beauty of the Breton landscape at the same time.


Also called “Fairy House”, Tressé covered alleyway has been a listed historic monument since 1887. These covered alleyways are in fact collective tombs that made it possible to communicate with the dead. It was reused at a later date, as proven by the discovery of Gallo-Roman and Gallic objects.

In 1930, Tressé covered alleyway was excavated and restored by Miss Collum and Sir Robert Mond. A skeleton and a variety of objects such as vases and beads were found.


The Champ Dolent standing stone is an impressive size (nearly 10 metres tall and 8.70 metres wide). According to legend, two brothers and their respective armies fought here. The combat was so violent that the fighters’ blood formed a river which triggered the wheel of a downstream mill. The rock fell heavily from the sky to separate the feuding brothers and stuck in the ground.

The stone sinks by a little more than one inch every century. It is said that when the stone is completely buried, it will herald the end of the world…


Nos suggestions